Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Jai Ho! Delicious Indian Cuisine in State College

*DISCLAIMER - If  are thinking about not reading this because it involves a type of food that you are unfamiliar with, I urge you to keep reading.*

Since I have not been able to drive around much lately, I figured I would write a bit about another hidden hot spot downtown. Located near The Cheese Shoppe (see last post), down a set of stairs on Calder Way, is an excellent Indian food restaurant. I know this makes some people say, "Ewww, Indian food", especially the people who have never given it a try. 

I tried Indian cuisine last year, while studying abroad in Ireland, and fell in love. Unfortunately, it can get expensive, and as a college student trying to be as thrifty as possible in a foreign country, I had to limit myself.

While abroad, I was also told that Chicken Tikka Masala is the national dish of England. Don't quote me, but London served it nearly everywhere. Most people would think the national dish is fish and chips. So, with that being said, take all stereotypes out of your head and give Indian food a try. People all over the world like it, afterall.


Chicken Tikka Masala
Being skeptical of trying a ethnic food in central PA, I decided to give in and try India Pavilion after many recommendations. Quickly seated and waited upon, I began to look over the menu. I had to get what I knew best - Chicken Tikka Masala, which India Pavilion descibes as "boneless tandoori chicken (white meat) cooked in a thick, creamy tomato sauce with herbs and spices". You can get it spiced mild, medium, or hot, and it is served with basmati rice, a long grain, non-sticky rice associated with the region of India. Also, a popular choice as a side is Naan bread, which is an unleavened bread coated in olive oil and baked. It is delicious, and India Pavilion's Naan did not disappoint.


Naan Bread
To further entice you to give Indian food a try, I have introduced many people, even picky eaters, to give Chicken Tikka Masala a taste. No one has not liked it, yet.


Back to India Pavilion, the staff is very friendly and tends to the customers needs. The prices are not as steep as I saw abroad. My dinner cost about $12.00. I hear there is an $8 lunch buffet, too, which would be a great inexpensive way to try different authentic dishes.


And if my blog hasn't convinced you to try this place yet - it is BYOB! So if nothing else, try some naan and beer.


Rating: 5/5 (A delicious and enjoyable experience)

Restaurant Info:
India Pavilion
222 East Calder Way
State College, PA 16801
(814) 237-3400

For their full menu and more details check out their website:

1 comment:

  1. Jen, you've done such a great job with this! All the posts are so conversational and make me smile at least once. I hope you'll keep reviewing places because you've definitely given me a few great ideas of things to do already.

    ReplyDelete